The National Museum of Transportation is located in southwestern St. Louis near the suburb of Kirkwood. The museum was founded in 1944. The museum has on display the largest collection of steam locomotives in the United States. Not only is it the largest collection, but it includes some of the largest and most famous large steam locomotives from all over the USA. These steam locomotives include a UP Big Boy, a N&W 2-8-8-2, an AT&SF 2-10-4, an SP 4-8-4, a C&O 2-8-4, and a NYC 4-8-2. If you like large steam and lots of them, this is a good place to visit.
The museum exhibits are outdoors but mostly sheltered under roofs. Those locomotives around the perimeter of the shelters may be photographed relatively easily. Some locomotives are parked on interior tracks and are difficult to photograph. However, it is possible to gain access to most of them. The museum staff are very accommodating. Also, the locomotives do get moved around periodically.
For more information, please visit the official National Museum of Transportation web site.
5011 is one of five surviving AT&SF 2-10-4s. They were built by Baldwin primarily between 1938 and 1944. 5011 was part of the last of those groups built during the war. These represented the peak of rigid-wheelbase freight locomotives. However, because of their large 74-inch drivers, they were also used in passenger service. They ran with a boiler presser of 310 psi which was one of the highest boiler pressures used in a steam locomotive.
Like the C&O and Nickle Plate Berkshires, these were considered "super power" locomotives. Baldwin described some feats by 5011, the class leader, in late 1944. 5011 took on Cordy Hill, a five-mile stretch on the Missouri Division (Argentine, Kan and Shopton, Ia). With a ruling grade of 0.8%, the locomotive began pulling 5,441 tons of train of 94 cars at 56 mph (90 kph) and summited the grade at 18 mph (29 kph). On another 0.8% grade that ran for only two miles, 5011 hauled 121 cars beginning at 52 mph and dropping no lower than 40 mph. See Locobase 91.
5011 is prominently displayed in the front of the Roberts Pavilion.
The "Daniel Nason" has a complicated history. It was built in 1863 by the Boston & Providence Railroad in Roxbury, MA as a coal burning locomotive with a four-axle tender. In 1888 the Boston & Providence was leased by the Old Colony. They decided to send it to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 as an exhibit. It was backdated and altered to look like an older wood-burning locomotive and was given a three-axle tender and a bonnet stack. It also got a steam dome cover from a loco built in 1858 with its builder's plate attached, causing confusion ever since. The New Haven took over the Old Colony in March of 1893 and the loco was returned to it. In 1905 it was loaned to Purdue University (not the test plant itself) to be part of a collection of old locomotives for its students and stayed until 1935 when the NH took it back to be an exhibit at the New York World's Fair of 1939 - 40. After WW II it was sold to the owner of the Danbury Fair in Danbury, CT, in 1951. When the fair closed down its contents were sold at auction on April 2, 1982 and the museum bought it. Bringing it back to be with the surviving Purdue locomotives which came to the museum in 1951.
"Daniel Nason" is the only surviving example of a "Dutch Wagon" locomotive where the cylinders are located inside the locomotive frame.
Daniel Nason is prominently displayed just inside the Roberts Pavilion.
This is a Lima-built Mikado for the Chicago & Illinois Midland. It is the sole survivor of the C&IM. It was used to haul coal trains from the Illinois Midland coal mines to Commonwealth Edison electricity generation plants. 551 was donated to the museum by the C&IM in 1955.
551 is displayed at the front of the train yard.
This is an older, 1905-built Pacific with spoked drivers and a tall stack. It was built by the Locomotive & Machine Works of Montreal for the Intercolonial Railway as their 346. In 1916 it was transferred to the Canadian Government Railways as their 425. It was renumbered to 5529 in 1919. Finally, the Canadian Government Railways was merged into Canadian National Railways in 1923. It was donated to the museum in 1958.
5529 is displayed in the Abbot Building.
274 is a 4-4-0 built in 1873 for the Chicago & North Western. It was later leased to the Winona & St. Peter as their 40. In 1908 it was donated to the Purdue University in Lafayette, IN and came to the museum in 1951. Years ago, 274 was in good cosmetic condition. Today, it looks a bit weather-worn.
274 has two steam domes, a common feature at the time it was built. They provide more steam storage space for its boiler.
In 2021 274 was displayed toward the rear of the Abbot Building.
2727 was built in 1944 by Alco. The C&O based this 2-8-4 design on the Lima 2-8-4s built for the Nickel Plate and Pere Marquette railroad. However, instead of using the more common "Berkshire" name, it called these "Kanawhas" after the Kanawha River, which paralleled its main line. 2727 was donated to the museum in 1956.
In total, the C&O purchased 90 of these locomotives. 20 of them were built by the Lima Locomotive Works and 70 were built by Alco.
2727 is one of 13 Kanawhas that were saved and donated to various cities. Of those 13, one of them, 2701 was vandalized so severely in Buffalo, NY that it had to be scrapped. 12 survive today.
2727 is prominently displayed at the front of the Roberts Pavilion.
952 was built by Alco in 1905 for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. In 1939 it was donated to the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in Scranton, PA. It was also an exhibit at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. It arrived at the museum in 1953 as a "permanent load".
952 is a "Mother Hubbard" type locomotive sometimes called a "Camelback". Because of the wide firebox designed to burn anthracite coal, the cab was positioned straddling the boiler, leaving access to the firebox exposed to the elements. This design put both the fireman and engineer at risk and was banned in the late 1920s.
952 is displayed inside the Roberts Pavilion.
502 was built by Baldwin in 1916 for the Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railway. It was used as a slow "drag freight" locomotive for hauling iron ore. It was upgraded in the 1920s with a feedwater heater, a cast trailing truck with a booster and a larger tender. Those two devices were removed in the 1950s after these locomotives were replaced with more modern steam locomotives. 502 was donated to the museum in 1963 by the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range and is on display toward the rear of the main display shed.
502 is displayed at the rear of the Roberts Pavilion.
724 was built by Baldwin in 1896. In 1923 the locomotive got a new boiler. It was then sold to the East St. Louis Junction Railroad in 1941. In the early 1950s it was bought by St. Louis Material & Supply which later became Basic Materials in Pacific, MO. It was used to switch hopper cars of gravel until 1963 making it the last regularly scheduled operating steam locomotive in the St. Louis area. It was donated to the museum in 1963 by Basic Materials.
724 is painted in various non-traditional colors to help highlight the various components of a steam locomotive. It is displayed the main outdoor area in front of the main museum collection.
724 is displayed in the train yard.
764 was built in 1904 by Alco (Rogers) for the Illinois Central. It was built with an early type of Baker valve gear by the Pilliod Co. of Swanton, OH. 764 was used in mainline freight service. It was donated to the museum in 1955 by the Illinois Central and is displayed toward the rear of the main display shed.
764 was built with typical, flat "D" valves but was converted to having piston valves by the IC. They using a set of "universal" piston valves, essentially a "bolt-on" kit designed to retrofit and modernize older engines. It is easily seen in the photo.
764 is displayed at the rear of the Roberts Pavilion.
9 was built in 1893 by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works for the Lake Street Elevated Railroad in Chicago, IL. In 1896, 9 and its 34 sister locomotives were replaced by electric locomotives and put up for sale. Some sources claim that this was originally number 10. That is incorrect. The builder number on the original builder's plate and the builder number stamped on the reverse quadrant both confirm that it is builder number 2942, which corresponds to number 9.
In about 1901 #9 was sold to lumberman Dan McLeod. He ran an isolated logging line, the Sucker River Ry, in the Upper Peninsula, southeast of Grand Marais, MI. #9 had its left cylinder replaced with one matching the one on the right side, converting it from a cross-compound locomotive to a simple-expansion locomotive. By mid-1906 the locomotive had been sold to the C.H. Worcester Lumber Co of Cusino, MI. Around 1911, the locomotive was moved to the Houghton, Chassell & Southwestern Railroad. In 1929 it was bought by the Delta Chemical & Iron Company in Wells, MI. In 1944 the Delta operation shut down and the locomotive was bought by the Defense Plant Corporation in Rusk, TX. After several more ownership changes it was sold in 1955 to the La Consolidada, S.A. steel mill in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico. By 1957 the locomotive had been replaced by a diesel and was to be scrapped. However, an arrangement was made with the museum and it was donated.
It was obtained by the museum in 1958 from the La Consolidada, S.A. in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico. 9 was cosmetically restored in 1996.
9 is displayed at the far end of the Roberts Pavilion.
2 was built in 1907 by the Davenport Locomotive Company for the Purington Paving Brick Co of Galesburg, IL. It is a 30" gauge tramway locomotive that was later used for hauling clay for Laclede Christy of St. Louis. It was donated to the museum in 1952 by the Laclede Christy Company.
2 is displayed in the parking lot toward the museum entry.
311 was built in 1890 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. In 1923 it was rebuilt by M-K-T and received a new boiler, steam chests, steel cab, new tender, and converted to burn oil. It was overhauled again in 1945 to power the "Katy Flyer". It then toured the M-K-T system to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the line's "Winning the West." It was donated to the museum in 1952 by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad and was the only steam locomotive in the museum collection to arrive in St. Louis under its own power. It is the only preserved Katy steam locomotive.
311 is displayed inside the Abbot Building.
2156 was built by the N&W Roanoke Shops in 1942. It is a heavy drag mallet freight locomotive. It was retired from service in 1959 and then donated to the museum by the N&W.
It was cosmetically restored in 1985. 2156 was loaned to the Virginia Museum of Transportation from 2015 to 2020. During that time an EMD FTB demonstrator was loaned to this museum and displayed with their FTA 103.
2156 is a true Mallet steam locomotive. This means that it uses two-stage steam expansion. The two rear cylinders (in the middle of the locomotive) received steam at boiler pressure (300 psi). After expanding in the high-pressure cylinders, the steam would then be re-used in the front, larger, low-pressure cylinders. This process increased efficiency by extracting more energy from the steam before being exhausted. When run in this way, this locomotive could produce 126,831 pounds of pulling force.
Like many Mallets, 2156 could be temporarily run in "simple" mode when starting. This mode allowed higher pressure steam into the larger front cylinders. When run in this mode, the locomotive could produce 152,206 pounds of pulling force. That is more pulling force than produced by the Big Boy (135,375). It should be noted that "simple" mode was normally used just for starting a train and these locomotives were designed to use two-stage steam expansion.
2156 is displayed in the yard between the Abbot Building and Roberts Pavilion.
2933 was built in 1929 by Alco for the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway (part of the NYC system) as their 6233. In 1936 it was transferred from the "Big Four" to the New York Central system proper and renumbered into the same sequence as that class on the NYC -- 2933. It is a 4-8-2 "Mohawk" type. It was retired in 1955 and then donated to the museum in 1962.
There were minor differences between the CCC&StL and the NYC batches of locomotives. Those built for the NYC proper had water scoops under their tenders while those built for the Big Four did not as there were no track pans on their line.
2933 was painted in 1985 and cosmetically restored in 2017. It is displayed in the front of the Roberts Pavilion.
170 was built in 1927 by Alco for the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad. This was the second 4-6-4 Hudson ever built. It was donated to the museum in 1957.
170 is displayed toward the east end of the Roberts Pavilion.
This is a steam inspection locomotive built by Baldwin in 1889 for the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company. It is the last American steam inspection locomotive in existence.
How it came to be at the museum is an interesting story. There had been some correspondence between the Reading and the museum about it and other possible locomotive donations in 1947. The locomotive was repainted, possibly in anticipation of this and they made a canvas cover for the Black Diamond to protect its new paint job in 1947 or 1948. In July 1948 the Reading Railroad agreed in principle to loan the "Black Diamond" to museum but had found to its surprise that it belonged to the P&RC&I Company. After some delay, its ownership was transferred to the railroad so it could be shipped free under section 22 of the Interstate Commerce Act. These details were taken care of and an agreement between the museum and the railroad was signed on March 4, 1949.
The locomotive was loaded in a drop end gondola car under a canvas cover and shipped to the Museum on April 20, 1949. According to the waybills in the museum files, it was routed over the Reading, Western Maryland, Pittsburgh & West Virginia, Wheeling & Lake Eire, Wabash, and Missouri Pacific. This becomes a routing of Reading to Lurgan Junction, outside of Shippensburg, PA; Western Maryland to Connellsville, PA; Pittsburgh & West Virginia to Pittsburgh Junction, OH, Wheeling & Lake Erie to Toledo, OH; Wabash to St. Louis; and Missouri Pacific to Barrett, the location of the museum. It arrived at the Museum on April 29, 1949 and was unloaded on May 3. A presentation ceremony was held on May 15, 1949.
The Reading became part of Conrail in 1976 and as the lawyers wrapped up the affairs of the Reading Company, they discovered the loan documents. The Trustees of the Reading wanted it to be returned and placed at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. After some negotiation its sale to the museum for $5,000 was worked out. A St. Louis businessman and philanthropist on the board of the museum donated 69 shares of Proctor & Gamble stock with the stipulation that the proceeds of their sale be used to cover the purchase of the "Black Diamond" from the Reading Trustees. The Trustees of the Reading Company signed a bill of sale for the "Black Diamond" going to the museum on December 3, 1979. -- Information provided by Ron Goldfeder
Black Diamond is displayed just inside the Roberts Pavilion.
1522 was built in 1926 by Baldwin for the St. Louis - San Francisco railroad. The SLSF used it until 1951 when it was retired. It was donated to the museum in 1959.
The St. Louis Steam Train Association restored the locomotive to operating condition, completing the work in 1988. It powered excursion trains until 2002 when it was retired a second time. The rear truck is equipped with a booster.
1522 is displayed inside the Roberts Pavilion.
1621 was built in 1918 by Baldwin for the Russian government as a broad gauge (5 foot gauge) locomotive. Instead of going to Russia, it was converted to standard gauge and given to the Pennsylvania Railroad. To convert it to standard gauge, it was given extra-wide tires on its drivers to bring its flanges to the proper spacing. The pilot truck and tender wheels were replaced.
The USRA gave it the number 1195. However, the Pennsylvania Railroad never ran it. Instead, in April 1918 it went to the Southern Railway who numbered it 8029. It next moved to the MKT with the same number at an unknown date, and when the USRA control of the railroads ended in March 1920 it went to the Fort Smith Subiaco and Rock Island in Paris, AR, where it was #101. This line traded it to the Frisco in about 1925, which had a number of these locomotives as 2nd #1621. In 1951 it went to the Eagle-Picher Mining Company of Cardin, OK, as the Frisco dieselized. Eagle-Picher modified its tender by narrowing the coal space for better rear visibility. It was donated to the museum by them in 1961.
1621 is displayed in the front train yard.
4460 was built in 1943 by Lima for the Southern Pacific. The GS-5 and GS-6 classes had roller bearings on all axles. Having been built during WWII, the War Production Board would not permit the SP to build more GS passenger locomotives. The SP redefined GS to mean "General Service" instead of "Golden State" and specified that this group would be used for freight as well as passenger service. The board approved the purchase. Due to war-time shortages, no skirting was applied to this class. Also, they were painted black instead of the orange and red paint scheme used on the former GS locomotives. It was donated to the museum in 1959.
4460 was used by the SP in excursion service and was used on the final SP steam excursion in late 1958. It was donated to the museum in 1959.
4460 is displayed at the far corner of the Roberts Pavilion.
635 is a "deckless" locomotive with its boiler reaching to the far end of its frame, separating the crew members from one another. It was built by Baldwin in 1889 and was last used on the Sedalia-Warsaw, MO line. It was donated to the museum in 1966. 635 received a new pilot in 2015.
In 2021 635 was displayed inside the Abbot Building.
318 was built by the Terminal Railroad Association, Brooklyn, IL in 1926. It was the first locomotive to features a one-piece cast frame which incorporates the steam chests and cylinders. This design eliminated the need for individual parts to be bolted or riveted together. Because it was the first of this unique design, it was donated by the General Steel Castings Corporation to the museum in 1956. It was cosmetically restored in the early 1990s.
In 2021 318 was displayed at the rear of the Roberts Pavilion.
4006 was built by Alco in 1941 for the Union Pacific. 4006 was placed in storage by the Union Pacific in September 1957. In 1961, it was retired with 1,064,625 miles on it -- the most of any Big Boy. It was donated to the museum in 1961 with the tender of 4003. Before arriving at the museum, 4006 spent a year in storage in the Alton & Southern shop in East St. Louis.
4006 was painted in 1995 and is displayed directly ahead of UP Centennial 6944. Stairs provide access to the cab where most controls are identified.
573 was built as a cross-compound locomotive by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works in 1899 for the Wabash Railroad as their 754. It was renumbered to 573 in 1915 and converted into a simple-expansion locomotive by the Wabash. 573 was donated to the museum in 1955 and cosmetically restored in 2017.
573 was one of the last steam locomotives to run on the Wabash. It is displayed inside the Roberts Pavilion.
12 was built in August, 1926 by the American Locomotive Company for the Alton & Southern. It is one of only five surviving three-cylinder locomotives in the United States. The third cylinder is activated by Greasley conjugated valve gear on the pilot beam. It ran primarily in East St. Louis for 22 years before being donated to the museum in 1948.
12 is buried between other rolling stock in the Roberts Pavilion.
39 was built in 1876 by the Boston & Albany Railroad in Springfield, MA. In 1908 it was donated to the Purdue University. In 1951 the Purdue University donated it to the museum.
It was one of 100 "Eddy Clocks" known for their precise running and clock-like dependability and is the only surviving example. This type of locomotive does not have a steam dome. Instead, it uses a perforated dry pipe instead of a conventional throttle. It has no tender as it was used as a stationary boiler at a station before going to Purdue which is the only reason it was saved.
Marmora is displayed at the rear of the Abbot Building.
173 was built in 1873 at the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's Mt. Clare shops as their 373. It was renumbered to 173 in 1884 and then donated to the Purdue University in 1901 where it arrived under its own power. It was donated to the museum in 1951 by the Purdue University. Since 2017 it has been undergoing cosmetic restoration.
173 is one of five surviving "Camelback" type locomotives. It is one of only two "Camels", which is the proper name for this type of locomotive where the cab is centrally located atop the boiler yet the engine has a relatively narrow firebox located between the driving wheels.
173 is being cosmetically restored inside the workshop.
1015 was built in 1900 for passenger service on the Chicago & North Western railroad. It has 81-inch drives which allowed it to reach speeds up to 100 mph. It was assigned to the "Overland Limited" which had nine wooden coaches. It was retired after suburban service in Chicago in 1946. It was the very first steam locomotive donated to the museum in 1948.
This locomotive has an unusual layout of piston valves. Instead of the normal location on top of the cylinders, these were offset to the inside and were actuated by Stephenson linkage inside the drivers. It has been said that these locomotives were very easy to fire. They had two fire doors which were conducive to light-firing. Despite their relatively low tractive effort of 22,100 lbs, they were able to bring trains to speed in a relatively short time.
This locomotive is sitting at the rear of the museum. Its cab has collapsed. However, it is considered to be a prime candidate for restoration. Perhaps that will begin once the 4-6-0 Camel restoration is completed.
7 is a fireless locomotive built by Lima in 1910 for National Cash Register of Dayton, OH. It is named "South Park". 7 was donated to the museum in 1963.
7 is buried between rolling stock in back of the Abbot Building.
95 was built by Baldwin in 1906 for the St. Louis - San Francisco Railroad as their 3695. In 1937 it was sold to Scullin Steel in St. Louis, MO who renumbered it to 95. It was donated to the museum in 1956.
Its tender has Scullin trucks.
95 is buried between rolling stock in the Roberts Pavilion.
146 was built by Alco in 1916. It has the rare Young valve gear. Only the chassis survives and is kept stored in a tunnel on the museum site.
1 was built by Baldwin in 1929 for the McClellan & Junkersfield. It was later sold to the Union Electric Light & Power Company. It was used in the construction of the Bagnell Dam in MO. It was operated at the museum in the 1980s. Sometime during the rebuilt, work on the locomotive stopped. It is currently stored at the museum.
1 is buried between rolling stock in the back of the Abbot Building.
2 was built by Heisler in 1941 for the Union Electric Company of Venice, IL. It was donated to the Transport Museum Association in Brooklyn, IL then later moved to the museum in 1983. At one point it was painted with a face on the front which can still be seen in the photo.
2 is buried between rolling stock in the back of the Abbot Building.
22 was built in 1943 by the American Locomotive Company for the Atlanta & Saint Andrews Bay Line as number 905. It was sold in 1955 to the Tennessee Railway as there 1. It ended its career on the Arkansas & Missouri pulling excursion trains.
8 was built in 1948 by the Whitcomb Locomotive Works. It is a 65-ton B-B switcher with two 400 horsepower engines and four traction motors. It was donated to the museum in 1980.
4916 is stored away in the "Abbot Building" between other railroad equipment. It was built in 1942 by General Electric as PRR 4918.
9908 was built by Budd/EMD in April 1939 for CB&Q's St. Louis to Kansas City route. It was donated to the museum in 1966 by the CB&Q. There is one other surviving CB&Q Model AA. It is the 1934-built #9000 Pioneer Zephyr on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
There were only nine of this type of locomotive built. It had a unique wheel arrangement. Like an EMD E-unit, it had an A1A truck on the front powered by a 1000HP V-12 diesel. However, the rear, two-axle truck was unpowered. Thus, the wheel arrange was A1A-2.
This CB&Q E8 was built by EMD in January, 1950. It was used in passenger and commuter services. It was built with two 1,125 hp, 12-cylinder engines.
This electric locomotive was built in 1919 by General Electric. It was one of only five class EP-2 locomotives running on 3,000 volts DC. These locomotives looked like two smaller locomotives were combined with a box in the middle. The wheel arrangement was 1B-D+D-B1. They were used between Othello and Tacoma, WA where the CMStP&P had electrified their Mountain Division in 1915. The center section had a steam generator for heating passenger cars.
EMD introduced a streamlined trainset called the Aerotrain in 1955. The streamlining mimicked the design of automobiles that were available at the time. The cars were made from widened 40-seat bus bodies.
The Aerotrains were tested by a number of railroads but never totally caught on. They were rough riding. The Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific bought two of the train sets at a discount and used them for 10 years. Both engines with two cars each are preserved.
Note the rear end of the locomotive has no door. There was no way to enter the engine from the train. This locomotive is just a shell as the CRI&P removed the engine, generator, and anything else they could re-use.
103 was built by the Electro-Motive Corporation in 1939 as an FTA demonstrator. It was purchased from the EMC by the Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific (Southern Railway) as their 6100A in 1941. It was donated to the museum in 1961 by the Southern Railway. 103 was repainted to its original color scheme by EMD when it was used in LaGrange for its 50th anniversary celebrations.
4502 was one of 12 RS-3s built in 1955 by Alco for the Missouri Pacific. In 1975 the MP sold it to the Bauxite & Northern short line. Equity Grain then purchased it for switching purposes at its grain elevator. 4502 was retired in 1992 when it suffered a broken crank shaft. It was sold to the museum in 1996 and cosmetically restored to its MP paint between 2000 and 2006.
408 was built by the EMC in 1937. It is an NC switcher. N = nine hundred horsepower. C = cast frame. 408 is one of only five of this model and still has its original Winton engine. It was donated to the museum in 1974 by the Sabine River & Northern. 408 received fresh paint in 2014.
6944 was repainted by the Norfolk Southern around 2016.
9000081 was built by the Union Pacific in 1966. It is not self-propelled. The operator controls both the rotary plow as well as the locomotives used to push it. At 376,400 lbs, it is the heaviest rotary snow plow ever built.
2002 was built by EMD in 1952 for the United States Army. It is an SW8 (Switcher - 800 HP). 309 units were built by the United States and 65 units were built for Canadian railroads. The US Army ordered 41 units numbered 2000 through 2040 for use in the Korean War.
B-2069 was built by Alco in 1952 for the United States Army. MRS-1 (Military Road Switcher) locomotives were built with 3-axle, multi-gauge trucks to reduce the axle loading and to accommodate wheel sets from standard gauge on up to 5'-6" gauge. A total of 83 Alco MRS-1s were built numbering 2041 through 2123. B-2069 has a "B" in its number because it had a steam generator for heating passenger cars.
Most of these locomotives were placed in storage in Marietta, PA awaiting military use in a war. However, such a war never occurred and in 1970 these unused locomotives were considered redundant by the Army. They were transferred to the United States Navy. A number of these locomotives survive today in museum across the country.