Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia
2-8-2 "Mikado" Locomotives in the USA
The Tennessee Alabama & Georgia Railway was a short line railroad that ran
from Chattanooga, TN, 91.7 miles through northwestern Georgia to Gadsden,
AL. It began in 1890, as the Chattanooga & Southern, to haul coal, iron,
and timber. It connected to the Alabama Great Southern, the L&N and the
Southern Railroads in Chattanooga. It also connected with the Southern at
Blue Pond, AL, and the L&N at Gadsden. It acted as a short line connection
between the areas north of Chattanooga and the heavy industrial areas of
Montgomery and Birmingham, AL.
The line was purchased by the Southern Railway in 1971. The northernmost 23
miles ending at Kensington, Georgia were operated by the Chattooga and
Chickamauga Railway until the Dow Chemical plant in Kensington closed in
September of 2009. Norfolk Southern began dismantling sections of the segment in
There are no surviving TA & G 2-8-2 "Mikado" type locomotives.
Roster by Richard Duley
|Qty.||Road Numbers||From Other RR||Year Acquired||Year Built||Builder||Notes|
| 4 ||304-307||NYC||1937-1940||1912-1913||ALCO||3|
- Number 202 purchased from the Gulf, Mobile & Northern in 1932 Ex. GM&N #101 and sold to the Sydney & Louisburg in 1937 and became S&L number 73 then scrapped in 1961. Number 203 purchased from the GM&N in 1931 Ex. GM&N #102 and sold to the Sydney & Louisburg in 1938 and became S&L number 75 then scrapped in 1956. Number 204 purchased from the GM&N in 1933 Ex. GM&N #103 and sold to the Sydney & Louisburg in 1938 and became S&L number 76 then scrapped in 1960. Number 205 purchased from the GM&N in 1934 Ex. GM&N #104 and sold to the Sydney & Louisburg in 1937 and became S&L number 74 then scrapped in 1960.
- Numbers 301-303 Scrapped by 1951.
- Number 304 purchased from the NYC in 1937 Ex. NYC #3676. Number 305 purchased from the NYC in 1937 Ex. NYC #3717. Numbers 306 purchased from the NYC in 1938 Ex. NYC #3612. Number 307 purchased from the NYC in 1940 Ex. NYC #3788. All scrapped by 1951.
- Number 350 purchased from the Southern Railway in 1946. Ex Southern #6637 and former Erie #3036. Number 350 scrapped by 1951
- Numbers 401-402 purchased from the CI&L in 1948. Ex CI&L numbers 576 and 578. Both scrapped by 1951.
- 302 (David Steinberg Photo)